The original cold cap
The following is a brief history of the Company.
- 1987 – MSC & PCC founder Frank Fronda started his research into chemotherapeutic drugs and cold therapies to eradicate hair loss for chemotherapy patients.
- 1988 – The very first Cold Caps were developed with a successful basic therapy protocol.
- 1988 – Our Penguin Cold Caps and Therapy System are already paper writers being used throughout the UK – Jimmy’s Hospital in Leeds (St James’s) accepted the Penguin Cold Caps and Therapy System for use on their patients.
- 1988 – First trials.
- 1989 – Our Penguin Cold Caps and Therapy System are accepted and began use within top London hospitals.
- 1992 – 1000’s of chemotherapy patients have used and saved their hair by using our Penguin Cold Caps and Therapy System.
- 1992 – Our Crylon Gel was developed for use in our Penguin Cold Caps. This was a breakthrough for our caps development and success, (finding a substance that was fit for purpose – would not freeze at sub-zero temperatures, but remain malleable and retain coldness for a period of time.)
- 1992 – Research on all chemotherapeutic drugs effects on the body continued and an even more successful Penguin Cold Cap Therapy System was developed using these findings.
- 1994 – Our Penguin Cold Caps and Therapy System expanded for use in Europe.
- 1995 – Our new cap was developed to have the flexibility to adapt to any shape and size head.
- 1995 – Our Penguin Cold Caps and Therapy System are now being used in Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand.
- 1998 – The Company ‘Medical Specialties of California’ (MSC) was founded to further research and develop a specialised system of scalp cooling to stop or reduce chemotherapy induced alopecia for breast cancer and solid tumour patients, along with ovarian cancer and children with nephrotic syndrome.
- 1998 – Our Penguin Cold Caps Therapy System is Trialled over two years in Athens, Greece.
- 2000 – Our Penguin Cold Caps Therapy System is now being used in more than 15 countries.
- 2003 – Breakthrough technology in machine development.
- 2004 – Our First single cap machine is invented and put into hospitals/trials.
- Between the years of 2005 to present day – various celebrities have used the Penguin Cold Cap Therapy System to retain their hair and have had such success they were able to keep their cancer diagnosis a secret.
- 2005 – Our Penguin Cold Caps representatives are based throughout USA.
- 2005 – 2007 – Trials using our Penguin Cold Cap Therapy System at Beaumont Hospital (FDA) by Dr Margolis and Dr Shannon Wills.
- 2006 – Our Second Machine developed. Put into hospitals/trials commenced
- 2009 – Our Third Machine developed. Put into hospitals/trials commenced.
- 2012 – Our Fourth Machine developed – Trials commenced.
- 2015 – Our Penguin Cold Caps have now saved the hair of over 50,000 chemotherapy patients worldwide
- 2015 – Our Penguin Crylon Gel Cold Caps and Therapy Systems are now being used worldwide.
- 2016 – Combining our accumulated learning and knowledge good research paper ideas from our past machines with new technical advancements our New Machine and Therapy Systems are being developed for use with new and existing chemotherapy drug protocols.
- 2016 – Penguin Cold Caps research and development continues to ensure a new era in Cold Cap Therapy.
- 2018 – After 22 years Penguin Cold Caps are Expanding in the UK. They are moving to larger premises. In the USA more representatives are being trained, in various States, then ever before.